Friday, April 9, 2010

Reflection #13

What?

My partner and I have had a lot of opportunities to teach during our field experience. This past week, we had the opportunity to teach math to our students. Teaching math showed me how much art is integrated.

So What?

We taught on reflection and lines of symmetry. I saw how much art we used and all the different projects we found for our students to do. They had to use a transparent mirror and draw one side of an object and then have their partner look through the mirror and draw the other half of it. We then had them color them and hung them out on their bulletin in the hall. We did a lot of activities like this and it really opened my eyes to see the impact art has on students and the enjoyment they get when playing and using it. I also think it helps all students but most importantly those that are visual learners. I was able to point out those learners and saw the amazing ending result of their learning as well as their projects.

Now What?

Seeing how frequent art is integrated into lessons without realizing it makes me happy and makes me feel accomplished. I still plan to plan lessons that integrate art into it and plan to do this often. I think it is important for my students to see what they have done and it is also a very valuable tool for me to use to check understanding of a subject. I was never one that was good with art but I have changed the way and the frequency I will use it in my classroom. I think art is just as important as the other subjects and I feel the students excitement when it is used.

No comments:

Post a Comment