Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reflection #1

What has been your personal experience with the arts? Did you have teachers who taught and/or integrated them in your education?

When I think of art classes I think of drawing. I have always loved art and have had an interest in it but I never thought I could do it. I was afraid to try. I cannot draw so I think that is something that automatically drew me away from the arts in school. In elementary, I remember my teachers always having us draw out what we understood from the story. We would also do projects that integrated art. When I was in 5th grade, a project I had to do was to write and illustrate a book. I really enjoyed that project and still to this day look at that book. Later on in my education, I realized art was more than just drawing. I took music and photography. I was really interested in the process of photography and enjoyed every minute of music class. My teachers integrated several categories, which included research as well as finding the perfect picture or finding the perfect song or tone. They then integrated the meaning whether it was from history or something I would learn in another class. This was when I really realized my passion for art.

So what impact have they had in your life? What were some of the characteristics of your favorite and least favorite teachers? So what does that mean for you as a future teacher?

Even though I may have not taken many art classes, I remember each teacher who used art in my learning. Some characteristics portrayed in my favorite teachers were, the ability to get the message and content across to all students. I had many teachers teach in different styles and I really enjoyed that. These teachers were also very positive and even though we knew I was not the best in art, they still encouraged me to do my best. Characteristics some of my least favorite teachers portrayed were unfriendliness. I wondered why they went into teaching. I also remember being afraid which blocked my need for creativity. To this day, I still hesitate when it comes to doing creative projects with not much time to work with. When I become a teacher, I have learned from my teachers what to do and what not to do. I want a friendly environment as well as a positive environment. For me as a teacher, I want to be open to all and realize not every student excels in one area but recognize their desire to try. Integrated will help make this process easier.

Now what do you want/need to do it terms of your preparation to effectively teach and integrate the arts as a teacher?

I need to become more familiar with the different genres of art as well as the different types. I tend to forget certain subjects fit into the art category. I need to become proficient in art myself so I can teach it to my students and not have the fear or negative attitude I have now! I also want to find connections on how I can relate art to other subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment