Saturday, January 30, 2010

Reflection #3

What is the value of using children's picture book illustrators as an entrance to both understanding and making art?

Picture books allow the students to see firsthand what art means. It allows them to focus on the meaning as wells as the different forms. It helps them to create and use that specific art style and make a copy of it, or make one as their own. Picture books are so broad and there are so many different types, which in return develops different styles of art. I thought it was beneficial to know about the illustrator and their background as well as their style because it helps viewers to see why and how this illustrator came up with their ideas.

So What can I do to effectively prepare to teach about artists and their techniques/styles?

I can prepare myself by learning about various artists as wells as learning about the different techniques, styles, and inspiration each illustrator brings to their artwork. I can also practice myself and see how it feels to create something similar to theirs.

Now What - Why will that be important to me and to my students?

Being able to teach about an artist and their techniques and styles will be very important to both my students as well as myself because it will help our mind have the ability to integrate art in doing just about anything. Most importantly, it will help my students with their other subjects. Studying and really looking into a person and the way they do things will help my students and myself to be more observant. I noticed each group presented a different way and presented a different illustrator. This opened my eyes to see there is more than just one way of doing things. That is really important for me as a teacher to learn and act upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment